Okay I shall be the first to point it out! There’s no week 11! “What?!?” or “Dear god no! no!” I imagine you are screaming at your computer, whilst others of you faint from shock unable to find words to describe the horror of what you have just read.
So let me explain to you why there is no week 11… it is a long tale and on that you may struggle to follow. I had Uni work to do so had nothing to talk about beyond “errrr I was writing a report durrrrr”. Yeah now we’ve got the sarcasm out of my system let’s give you a quick update about what was going on last week.
Last week I began working on textures for our game, learning how to unwrap the meshes and mark seams and trying to get a hang of where all the seams needed to be to get a decent template to create the texture on. I managed to get a tree canopy complete, using a pre existing leaf design and making a template over the top to get the right shape. Then using photoshop I added in the colour and texture to the leaf aiming to keep it in the same style as the rest of our game. I then duplicated the leaf twice to get a three pointed leaf, for lack of a better term. I then created three varieties of this, the greenest and brightest to go on the top layer, slightly darker but more leaves for the middle layer and then a much darker leaf that would cover the entire space to get the idea of depth to the tree canopy.
There are a few imperfections that still need to be corrected, but now I am waiting on the bark textures to be made for the tree so I can get the assets to our level designer to implement them into the game.
Half way through the week we got some news about possibly being present at a gaming even very soon, so we had to shuffle the team around to get the priorities finished. So that has now left me with the task of creating an enemy 3D model for the demo so we don’t have floaty cubes to fight.
As of yet I have never made a 3D model of a character or animal, nor have a rigged/animated a model yet. However I feel up to the challenge despite admittedly being a tad daunted at the task ahead of me. I have about 2 weeks to get it done which given how much I learnt about Blender in my first two weeks of using it, I am sure that I can do this.
My other tasks for the week is to create the UV templates for Dom to make textures on then I will add the textures to all our environment objects. The pressure is most certainly on, but hopefully it will push us to do our best work yet. It feels far more real now then before, with the prospect of this all being in the open as opposed to the safety of our studio with a few select people seeing our work. The thing with creativity is that you will never be 100% happy with your work, but you have to get your work in front of people to improve. Hopefully it goes well at the gaming event, but if not then we will learn from the experience and use it to make a better game.
So that’s my quick little update for you guys this week. Keep tuned as I want to post something else this week to make up for the lack of posting last week!
Thanks for reading 🙂